Friday, June 13, 2008

10 Things I'm Grateful For...

Sometimes it is just an easier option to sulk and complain about things that happen in life...it really does not take much effort to feel victimised by the controls, contraints and circumstances of existence.

However, such feelings are highly unproductive. It is important to take time off every now and again to reflect on the blessings of life...to put things back into perspective.

Here are 10 things I am grateful for in my life.

1) My marriage.

Being married is one of the best things that has happened to me...there has never been a moment when I think I should have waited longer. Given another chance, I would do it all over again and even earlier as being with Saras completes me. This five year relationship keeps getting better with every passing day.

2) My unborn child.

Never a day goes by when I do not worry about the baby. It consumes several of my thoughts. It has only been 14 weeks since conception and this child is already a big part of me. I can't imagine how much life would eventually change after birth. Suddenly, there is something out there that is beyond me and my means of control...something which I will be responsible for and I will always feel responsible for.

3) My home.


I was reading some of my past blog entries and chanced upon a congratulatory message I wrote Madhan in Dec 2006. He had just bought a house and to me, the thought of owning my own property at 26 was not even conceivable. Eight months later, two months before my 25th birthday, I ended up buying my current home. Absolute luck and divine intervention. Having a home to call my own is a great feeling...there is a sense of security and ownership which I never felt when I was renting.


http://kartikvilla.blogspot.com/2006_12_01_archive.html

4) My job.

I like my job. I don't always LOVE it....but I am deeply appreciative and thankful that I have a career that is both meaningful and pays the bills. It perplexes me sometimes when people complain about what they do when the fact is that there are so many others out there who would kill for the same opportunity. I am deeply grateful to God and the people who gave me this chance. It is because of my job that I am able to live the life I am living.

5) Countries to call home - Singapore and Australia.

I have been blessed twice over by two countries I call home. Both Singapore and Australia are beautiful in their own ways and I have had the best of both worlds. I have lived a life of calm and hope because of these two great nations. Although I admit I go through moments when I feel disgruntled by certain events and systems, I am still acutely aware of the fact that in the scheme of things these minor peeves are insignificant.


6) My parents.

Where do I even start? They have given me everything that I have and am. Amma and Acha are not only my parents, they at times manifest into my close friends, my God, my guru and my credit reserve. <:

7) My health.

Sometimes it hits me that I have a perfect body...and I am thrilled by the realisation of how lucky I am. I was born healthy and complete and I am free of any disease or illness. I have lived the last 25 and a half years as a strong, able-bodied person without any physical discomfort or limitations. What a blessing...

8) My aunties.

I have grown up with the confidence that I would always be taken cared of. Even if anything was to happen to my parents, my aunties would be there for me. They are my 2nd mothers. I hope that I would one day have enough generosity and capacity in my heart to love and care for the children of my siblings and cousins in the same unwavering and unassuming way.

9) Education.

I could not speak English when I started school. I finished 38th in class when I was in Primary One. I faired miserably in my 'A' levels and was rejected by several universities. I was often made to feel stupid. The jibes, taunts and harsh words by teachers, peers, private tutors and even my own parents still haunt me.

For most of my life I never believed I would go to university. Finishing my bachelors degree a year earlier than my peers with honours, completeing a masters and coming in the top of my cohort and having gained admission to a doctoral program is my fairy tale ending. This is my hero's journey.

10) Aatha.

A year has passed since she moved on from this realm. My grandmother is my guardian angel and my constant reminder that love is an art form which can be perfected in this lifetime. I still miss you but I take comfort in the knowledge that I was blessed to have been loved by you.

8 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another great blog idea. :) if saras isn't opposed, you should put up pictures of her somewhere while she is pregnant! mostly because it's that exciting! :) and i really like the "credit reserve" line...so true with my parents too!

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O Kartik, I am deeply moved by your beautiful writing and the feelings you have conveyed. It is truly heartwarming. May God continue to bless you abundantly.
Best wishes always.
Cheers,
Anu

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Kartik Menon said...

Emily: Thanks...looking forward to reading your list of 10 as well. Saras is not showing much yet...maybe in another month or so?

Anu: Thanks Anu...it is almost like a compact version of all your blog posts!

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger my life.... said...

hey kartik, i am ok da... how are u and saras? sorry to reply u late coz work has kept me busy... hows life for u?

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya...chanced upon your blog thru friendster. Great post...wish more pple counted their lucky stars like you!!

And u guys def look like a perfect couple :-)

Take care....

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Kartik Menon said...

lalitha: life is good! Saras is keeping well...did you have a good break?

Nitz: Hey! Welcome to the blog and thanks for your nice comments.<: How is your brother? And when do you intend to have that picnic which your promised us?

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger my life.... said...

Hey Kartik, i didn t go to KL... instead went for my MRI scan... 2 weeks stayed at home... cld not get to see my grandma :( i hope i get to see her in Dec

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger dars said...

whats up buddy? How are things going on your end of the world?

-Darshan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home