Saturday, October 27, 2007

Quarter of a Century!!!

I've surprised myself...turned 25 yesterday and I'm actually loving it. 25 has a nice ring to it..better than an awkward 22, 23 or 24. I'm now comfortably in my mid-twenties and I know what I want, where I stand, and who I want in my life (everyone!). Where is that quarter life crisis people speak of? I think I probably went through that phase a few years ago... So yes, I had an awesome birthday...here is a run of events in stages:

a) Started with Thiagesh barging through my backyard on Friday night with a mud cake, singing happy birthday while I was slouched in my sofa, digging my nose. I was probably more shocked than surprised...but was really touched once I recovered (and after I washed my hands)...after all, not many friends would catch a two and a hour train ride and walk a further half an hour from the station just to wish me. He stayed the night and went home the next afternoon since he had to work...Thanks for starting my birthday with a bang Thiagesh!

b) Pramod and Gowri arrived an hour later. They too had to endure a two and a half our train ride from Brisbane...did not help that track works were going on as well. Gowri got me two nice ties...my tie collection has now increased by 50%. Pramod bought me a very 'useful and practical' fridge magnet with a poem entitled "A Very Special Friend"...the drift of it was about how the friendship was very precious despite the fact we rarely meet and spend much time together. I was like "What THE!...you stay over at my place virtually every other weekend...how much freaking time do you actually want to spend with me before it becomes enough??" he he..they could only stay till 4 since Gowri had to catch a Justin Timberlake concert later that evening.

c) Then later that night, I was joined by Andrew (another poor Brisbanite), Jenny, Sayuri, Dylan and Nick. Loved the gifts they brought...a wooden Indian elephant, Indonesian wind chimes, Buddha book holders from Oxfam (one of my favourite shops) and a book called "Women are from Bras and Men are from Penus". It's amazing how much my friends seem to understand my taste (almost better than I do)...they are all now a much appreciated display feature in my home (apart from the book!). More than the gifts, I really enjoyed their company...you guys made my day.

d) When I went to sleep that night, tucked under my pillow was a wrapped belt and home made card from my sweetheart...the card was truly a masterpiece...the woman is really an artist...it was designed with dried petals from a rose plant I had given her a month back. 27th October 2007 also happens to mark the fourth year we have been together...I'm once again reminded how lucky I am...not many guys would find a girl like Saras who would sacrifice a full PhD scholarship and a dream..just so that she can be with me. I am immensely blessed to have a girl in my life who I love more and more with every passing day...

And of course, thank you to all my friends and family members who remembered (even though I may not have necessarily remembered theirs) and for all for the phone calls (including a few expensive international ones), emails, SMSes and messages on Friendster and Facebook...I really really appreciate it guys...you've certainly made me feel very very special.

cheers,

Kartik

4 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they have oxfam stores? we've donated to them...didn't know there are stores! glad you had a good birthday!

 
At 1:15 AM, Blogger dars said...

Happy belated bday bro.

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAppy Birthday! I didn't forget honest!

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Kartik Menon said...

Thanks guys!

Yeapz, there are oxfam stores...they have really cool products made by members of the communities which they support.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home